I thought it would be fun to create a Pros and Cons for the BCIR surgery based on my own experiences.
• I gained and maintained weight!
• Quality of life is at the highest it could ever be!
• Full nights of sleep!
• Depression is gone, except when I lose money at video lottery.
• I can eat anything whenever I want. Nothing irritates my belly.
• I feel normal again.
• No external bag
• I poop when I want, not because I can’t hold it!
• There is nothing I can’t do because of the surgery.
• I got my life back!
• No chance of colon cancer! It ain’t there any more.
• No more bloody stools from colitis.
• No more cramps from colitis.
• You have to carry around a catheter for the rest of your life. Big deal.
• You will have a huge scar down your belly. Makes you look tough.
• No more audible stinkers. Can’t compete with grandpa any more.
• Your colon is gone forever. Not even a photo album.
• Pouchitis. It’s like eating some bad oysters, hurts for a few days then it’s gone.
• There are risks that it will not work, but it’s rare.
• You’ll have to find an understanding partner. Wait, you poop through a tube?
• Your bu**hole has been moved to you abdomen below the waistline. No one knows except you!
• Embarrassing sounds, extra stinky poos. Could be a PRO
• Adhesions, occasional blockages, complications. Life is a risk.